Thursday, August 5, 2010

Coffee...nectar of the gods.

Coffee....
Love it.  Black and piping hot and so strong it reaches out of the cup and slaps you in the face...
Cold and creamy with that nutty flavor that calms you down and perks you up all in the same sip...
Frozen and straight from the ice cream carton- just me and  it and a spoon...
At the end of a meal with a dash of some luscious orange or almond flavored liqueur that turns it magically into "dessert in a cup".
Coffee is all these things and more.

As I've visited different areas of the country it's been interesting to observe all the ways in which coffee is presented and the esteem in which it is held.  
In Nashville you don't have to go to far to find a Starbucks or "Starbucks-type" coffee. My taste buds, just as many others, always found security in the chain type coffee houses.   In Columbia, there was no Starbucks to be found so  I tried several "baristas" who proved to be nothing more than wannabes. I did find one little coffee spot that seemed to have a nodding familiarity with how to do the brew and offered up a palatable alternative. 

But here in Oregon, well suffice it to say, the availability of premium coffee has risen to all new and enjoyable heights. Simply said, Oregon is proving to be coffee mecca.
I remember a colleague of mine telling me how his son, who had spent some time in the Northwest, on returning home was appalled at the absence of the independent barista and at John Q. Public's addiction to "chain" brands.  I gave him a quizzical look , being highly offended since I am Jane Q. Public.  But now...I get it. 

In the more populated areas of Oregon (of which there are only a few) you can certainly find the standard Starbuck's which always provide a taste you can count on and a comfy place to sit an compute.
But the supreme delight has been to discover so many independent baristas.  They come in many forms usually little free-standing, drive by kiosks out in a parking lot, but they can also be found in random places on the side of the road, in the middle of an industrial area or even just out in the middle of nowhere. I even spotted one on the sidewalk at the Jerry's (Home Depot type) store.  And, joyfully, all serve up a really great tasting brew.

I've learned that I can count on Oil Can Henry's as a compass for locating a cup of espresso. Oil Can Henry's is one of those quick oil change places.  Every location seems to have some type of coffee dispensary in its lot or attached to it's side.
One thing's for sure, in our travels up and over the back roads of the countryside and through the small towns  and wide-spots in the road of the mountains of Oregon, one thing holds true.  The sign may say "next gas- 50 miles"  but you can bet you're bottom dollar good coffee won't be that hard to find.
Ah, Oregon!!!  You are a people after my own heart!!


Below are of a few of the creative names and locations I've come come across.  There are many more but my husband's patience has rationed me to only so many  "Turn around...I need a picture of that cute little coffee place" kind of stops :)

    The Human Bean
    Supreme Bean
    Brewed Awakening
    Holy Grounds
    Nina's Pony Espresso
    Sweet Beans
    Caffeination Station

   
 

No comments:

Post a Comment