Sunday, September 5, 2010

Coburg and the "Classics"

Scattered among the hills and buttes surrounding Eugene are several small towns.  Visiting these small  town centers are like taking a step back in time.  Most have a bandstand and during summer months sport outdoor concerts, movies on the green, and a weekly outdoor market to sell fresh, local produce.  They also present celebrations unique to the town, like the Scandinavian Festival in Junction City complete with polka dance performances and Swedish meatballs and pastries.
Many  towns across  Oregon sponsor annual Classic Car shows.  Being the lover of movies from the 30's and 40's that I am, I have been longing to visit one so when I read the ad for the show in Coburg, off we went.  We got up on a Saturday morning and drove the short distance to the middle of town where rows and rows of bright, shiny classic cars were lined up. 

Owners sat around on folding director's chairs under portable tents visiting with each other and waiting to answer questions and share stories with curious onlookers.  Under a tent children were sitting at table building models of classic cars from car kits.  Volunteers were serving  box lunches of chicken BBQ (which I've learned just means chicken cooked on a grill).  And later a 50's dance was planned for anyone who wanted to sport their poodle skirts and try their hand (foot) at the jitterbug.




 What fun!   I could just see myself, in one of these beauties, hair tied back with a lovely silk scarf, cruising the 101 (Pacific coast highway) with the top down...kind of like Grace Kelly in "It Takes a Thief". 







Yes, these are the cars that set the stage for many of those classic movie scenes I've grown to love.



As we strolled and ogled we listened to strains of the Beach Boys- how apropos....

    Well I'm not braggin' babe so don't put me down
    But I've got the fastest set of wheels in town
    When something comes up to me he don't even try
    Cause if (it) had a set of wings man I know she could fly
    She's my little deuce coupe
    You don't know what I got
    Little deuce coupe
    You don't know what I got

Surf's up y'all!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment