Friday, June 18, 2010

Arkansas- Diamonds and Rice




Got the car loaded and headed out by noon. The first stop, Hohenwald, TN. and lunch at the Junkyard Dog :) After that on to Arkansas- home of rice and diamonds. I've never driven any farther west than Memphis. Never have even crossed the Mississippi in anything other than a plane so it was very interesting to see the change in landscape. Eastern Arkansas is very flat and very green. Miles and miles of lush green fields. I was so surprised to learn that those green fields are producing rice. Arkansas produces more rice than any other state. The fields have a beautiful curlique pattern of tiny streams for irrigation. I would love to see this from the air because the streams formed meanders that were a darker green. Meanders are lazy curves in a river or creek. "Meander" is one of those words that sounds just like it moves, long, slow, and lazy.
Arkansas is also home to the only diamond producing site in the world that is open to the public and they have a "finders keepers" policy.

1 comment:

  1. Arkansas DOES have a lot of rice fields. I pass by them every time I drive home. In fact, I am headed home for my 30th highschool reunion this summer.

    I am glad you all are doing well. I have loved your blog!

    ReplyDelete